There is no need cover your body with synthetic junk ever again, this whipped body butter looks as good as it sounds and is decadent body care goodness. In fact it was difficult to resist “licking the beaters” after it was whipped. Silky smooth, light and super moisturising, combined with the uplifting peppermint and light bronzing effect of the cocoa, you can’t go wrong with this lush body butter. Apply in the morning for that extra glow through out the day and energising effects of the peppermint.
I must admit I first saw a similar recipe on Kelly The Kitchen Kop and loved the photos and recipe so much I had to try something similar. I much admit it is an insanely divine and moisturising body butter and I love the brazing effect.
If you use quality oils it will stay fresh for 3-6 months at room temperature. The addition of Vitamin E not only gives you the healing benefits of Vitamin E, but will also help the body butter to stay fresh for up to a year.
- 1 cup of organic cocoa butter, grated
- 1/2 cup Coconut Oil
- 1/2 cup of jojoba oil (you can substitute mild olive oil, almond or any organic, liquid oil that is healthy)
- 1-2 teaspoons peppermint essential oil or spearmint essential oil
- 2 tablespoons pure cocoa powder or raw cacao powder (I use cacao it is more pure and readily available at my local whole foods store)
- 2 teaspoons naturally derived vitamin E
- Prepare an ice bath, the inside bowl needs to be able to hold at least 4-5 cups of liquid, or you can allow the mixture to chill in fridge until it starts to become firm, but not hard.
- Using a double boiler gently melt the cocoa butter and coconut oil, be careful not to allow it to boil and watch it through and stir while it is melting.
- When it has melted remove the oil mixture from heat.
- Measure 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder into a small bowl and gradually add several tablespoons of jojoba oil. Mix thoroughly and then add to cocoa butter and coconut oil mixture along with remaining jojoba oil.
- Place mixture in chilled bowl (which should still be resting above the ice bowl) and allow to cool for 10 minutes, or chill in the fridge.
- Add essential oil and Vitamin E once mixture has cooled.
- Remove mixture from ice bath or fridge and whip on medium/high until stiff peaks form. If after a few minutes it does not seem to be thickening allow it to chill for a bit longer.
Store in an airtight jar – amber or cobalt are best but a clear jar is fine if kept out of direct sunlight as it promotes oxidation and shortens the shelf life.
Use clean hands to help prolong shelf life when scooping out a little whipped decadence!
Avoid a very warm environment as this body butter will melt. It this does happen chill again and re-whip.
If you want more bronzing effect add a bit extra cocoa powder
Want an even more sun kissed glow? Instead of peppermint add – 1 Tablespoon of ground nutmeg and 2 Tablespoons of ground cinnamon.