Made from the seed of the mango fruit, mango butter is an excellent source of essential fatty acids with beneficial moisturising properties very similar in color and texture to cocoa butter.
- 1/2 cup mango butter
- 1/2 cup shea butter
- 1/4 cup sesame oil (or another favourite body oil, like almond or jojoba)
- 2 TBSP coconut oil (optional)
- 2 TBSP aloe vera jelly (optional)
- several drops (10-20 depending on desired strength) essential oil, you might like to try sweet orange or neroli for this recipe as the refreshing orange scent pairs well with mango
- large mixing bowl filled with ice
- Melt the mango butter slowly in the double boiler and then stir in the sesame oil.
- Turn off the heat and add the shea butter, stirring until the shea butter has melted in the mango and sesame mixture.
- Add the essential oil, neroli is especially good for skin applications, helping to balance too oily or too dry skin while sweet orange oil is said to give the skin a nice glow.
- Place the mixture in the bowl filled with ice to cool five minutes.
- Using a hand mixer whip the mixture. Place the mixture back on the ice five minutes and then whip again.
- Do this 2-4 times until you have a nice light and smooth consistency to your body butter.
- To make an even smoother and lighter body butter, melt 2 tablespoons coconut oil when adding the shea butter as described above, and add 2 heaping tablespoons aloe vera jelly while whipping with the hand mixer the first time.
- Spoon the mango body butter into containers and seal tight.